Monday, January 14, 2013

Little Pot of Gold

As I near the big 4-0 (ok, so I have a few years...but it is a little too close for my comfort nonetheless), I think more and more about the aging process and what I can do to, at the very least, slow it down. After giving birth to three children, my body has done some crazy hormonal changes that have left me dealing with issues I had never seen before and frustrated that I should be dealing with said issues in my 30's! Breakouts, dry brittle nails, hair loss and breakage...you name it. So I looked at my overall diet and realized that I had become lazy since I became a mom. Ok, maybe "lazy" is not the best word to describe being a mother. We "DO" plenty, and somehow that had become my excuse. Still an overall healthy eater, relatively speaking, I had let some of my more extensive practices go and had stopped researching new studies and products.

After talking to a fellow mom and friend, I decided to start back slowly and begin with her personal favorite, coconut oil. While the numerous benefits of this little pot of gold may be old news to many of you, it was like finding the Holy Grail for me. I began by putting it on my hands and feet, places that have forever been problem spots for me. The winters make them dry and cracked, while the summer flip flop season has all but destroyed my heels. Within days, I was seeing a difference, and the smell was good enough to eat!

Once I saw this, I decided to take the plunge and use it as a moisturizer on my face. Having had sensitive skin for my entire adult life, I was nervous. Every moisturizer I have ever tried has sent my face into a patchy mess. However, after a week, I was sold. My skin has never been clearer, smoother, more radiant...and the list goes on. The only downside is that my puppy wants to lick my face every time I put it on! (and so does my hubby! ;)

As for the health benefits, I use the extra virgin unrefined (i.e. Nutiva) coconut oil for skin, hair (haven't tried that yet, but want to!) smoothies, and baking or other dishes with a coconut flavor. For other dishes, I use the refined coconut oil (i.e. Spectrum). Even for the health rookie, this is an EASY change to make. I buy mine off of Amazon (2 15oz jars for $17.58); and a little goes a long way, so they will last you awhile. I wish I could adequately describe how much better I feel with just this simple change. It just may give me the boost I need to keep on going and do more!!

Please let me know if you try it or have tried it before as well as any tips you may have. I am constantly looking for more ways to use this amazing oil!

No comments:

Post a Comment